Monday, July 2, 2012

Sudan Protests XVI or what?

With my last post in mind, I'll try to be reserved in this one.

I'm safe. I'm not Sudanese and I don't live in Sudan. But I have a right to be concerned as a world citizen, as a mother of a half-Sudanese and as one who loves the country and it's people.

When the protests started, more than two weeks ago, I was thrilled and anxious to see this through as best as I could. I've stayed online almost 24/7 and have tweeted and blogged, encouraged and informed between diaper changes and the planning of our son's name ceremony. I've cursed myself for not being able to participate in the protests, in Sudan or by the embassy. I've contacted media and spoken in national radio. I've gotten people involved and have been very passionate about it all. "This is it," I've said, "now the Sudanese have finally woken up!"

But something happened. Or rather, things that happened started to unhappen. Like a building wave that strangely faltered, the protests in Sudan seem to have gotten weaker and weaker.

The world have shown it's support to #SudanRevolts. People have literally put their lives at stake for this revolution to happen. Some 1000 people have gotten arrested and a countless heap have been abused, threatened and mistreated in 1000 different ways. A man died. People got hurt. And while some stubborn activists continue their struggle; online and on ground, the rest seem to have slowly walked back to their houses, closed the curtains and hope that "nothing bad" will happen to them due to their moment of anger.

But bad things will continue to happen to them, no matter if they protest or not. The economy will continue to hit them hard, their lack of freedom will eventually remove their sense of personality and individualism and their ideas and opinions will be unspoken. Their kids; those innocent adorable little persons, will learn to grow up in a prison worse than any "Ghosthouse" or federal prison. Because in this one, the one without bars and walls, you can actually taste the freedom. You have it, right there, but you're either too scared or to indoctrinated and brainwashed that you don't even recognize freedom when you see it.

I think, and I'm going to be totally honest here no matter what kind of possible reactions I might get, that the world (all those people outside of Sudan) that have protested and shown their support for #SudanRevolts feels a bit let down. Disappointed if you choose.

People have travelled far to get to a Sudanese embassy and have been supporting and encouraging in many ways so that the Sudanese won't loose their spirits. And now? What you hear on internet is things like "let's make it happen on Friday!" or "Free this-and-that-person!" But what about the real issue? Why wait for a Friday to bring everyone you know that has something about their government to complain about and hit the streets? Why not now? What better time will there ever be than now?

Everyone in Sudan are unhappy with their government, wether they know it or not. Those who don't know it have simply not been in a situation where they've met the "authorities" because they have privilages of some sort.

I don't know... I'm a bit confused here. Where is this #SudanRevolts that started out so well? What happened to people's courage and "stick to it no matter what"?

I understand fright, I really do. I've been followed and monitored by the Sudanese authorities. Several (in plural!) of my close ones have been questioned, held and tortured by NISS, so believe me when I say I know what they're capable of. But what won't they be capable of if they can beat you down this easily? They will laugh at you, humiliate you, punish you for a number of things that you either did or didn't do.

WAKE UP! 
STAND UP!
MAKE IT HAPPEN!

No comments: