Monday, February 8, 2010

My First Hammam Experience

Today me, Sheila and Tiernan went to the hammam for the first time in Aourir, a neighbouring village. For those who don’t know what it is, it resembles one of those Turkish baths where you enter a tiled building containing of a set of rooms with different hot temperatures in it and buckets of water which you use to scrub yourself clean with several times. And trust me, even if you think you’re clean, you’ll get surprised at all the brownish water running off you when you rinse yourself. It was a great experience though and a bit strange to see all the naked/half naked Moroccan women showing everything with no shyness at all, compared to seeing them in public. When I came out of the hammam, I felt cleaner than I’ve done in years. It’s highly recommended to try it if you ever go to Morocco, but go to one of the local ones and not a touristy ones (that charge you 10 times the price) to get the full experience out of it.

No comments: