Monday, March 20, 2006

Kidnapping Drama

Yes, I'm still in Sudan and the last two weeks has been chaotic, and that's an understatement. My broyfriend has been kidnapped by rebels in El Fasher, Darfur, and no one knows why or when he'll be released. The matter has gone to the higher authorities in the UN and negotiations are going on from all corners of the country (and outside too). They promised that he would be released last Saturday or Sunday, and when Sunday arrived they said tomorrow, and today (Monday) they sayd tomorrow or the day after. I guess it's good news that he's with the rebels. That at least means that he's alive and haven't died from thirst in the desert, but stil... I've been a complete wreck, but it feels a little bit better now.

I live with Jaouad and Steven still. I have tried to keep myself busy with different activities with friends, but it's hard to think about anything else other than the kidnapping. If something like this had happened in Sweden this would be all over the news, but here, I've only read a few notices.

I won't be writing anything long today. I just wanted to thank everyone that has called and written to me, it has meant so much for me. When Khalid comes back I will live with him and his dfamily for a few days before I leave for Sweden. I got my passport back, but the visa is still not valid. Hopefully it will be enough to get me out of the country, but who knows... So far things haven't gone as planned, so I don't take anything for granted until I step off the plane in Arlanda.

See you soon, I hope. Thanks again to everyone who has called or kept in touch in other ways.

No comments: